Friday, November 21, 2008

Hello World!
This is my first posting on my blogspot.
BARBARA AND ME
As most of your will know I am a greatly blessed person: Blessed with a wonderful wife of 38 years-Barbara, a retired teacher. She taught all of her career in elementary school, and the last nearly 20 teaching kindergarten. (She never could get promoted back to 2nd, 3rd, or 5th which she had previously taught.)
OUR DAUGHTERS
We have two wonderful daughters, both now adults, of whom we are very proud. Kathryn, is an activity coordinator at a nursing/retirement home. She is married to Brent, an automotive technician (mechanic to most of us) with a local VW/Mazda dealership. They have brought great joy to our family with the birth 6/6/08 of Blake our first and only grandchild. Barbara cares for Blake while Kathryn is at work-a full time job!
Meredith our younger daughter is an environmental engineer with the SC state government. She is married to Craig who is a production engineer with Westinghouse Nuclear Fuel in Columbia. Between the two households we have 3 granddogs, and 4 grandcats, not counting our own 4 cat companions here. (2 inside, and 2 out).
I am gratified that our daughters work in areas which are important values to me: ministry(caring for and encouraging the elderly) and the environment.
We are blessed to have our daughters living 3 and 10 miles from us, so that we see them and their husbands frequently.
EXTENDED FAMILY
Barbara and I were blessed to grow up in the homes and with parents which were ours. In our homes of origin the Christian faith and life in the church and Christian teachings were important. Our parents were supportive of us and enabled us to each receive college degrees leading to our careers. Barbara's parents are both with the Lord, as is my Dad. Mother is getting along pretty well for almost 93 years of age. My brother Bill and his wife Susan live only about 7 miles away, with their adult children, and young grandchildren close by. Barbara's older sister, Patricia, died a little over 3 years ago. Her death was so tragic. She was a young 58, was a wonderful person, and role model for many. Her husband and children, and 8 grandchildren live in the piedmont of North Carolina. Barbara's younger sister, Frankie and her husband live in Lincoln county with most of their children close by. Their older daughter, Alisia, and her husband and 2 children are missionaries in "East Asia".
MY WORK
I am pastor of Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church, Gilbert, S C. Ours is a small congregation in a small town, in central S C, 1/3 of the way between Columbia, and Augusta. Gilbert is now basically a suburb of our capital city, Columbia.
Grace congregation has some of the finest people in the world, and, yes, a few other nuckle heads in addition to me. We have a beautiful small sanctuary, adequate Sunday School classrooms, and an attractive fellowship hall/ ministry center. Ours is a generous congregation: supporting the work of the synod above the requested level, and always meeting or exceeding our suggested goal.
LUTHERANISM
With no ill reflection on any other denomination I have to say I am thankful that I was born, raised, and am now a Lutheran. We teach and proclaim Grace. Of course all denominations talk about it, but God's Grace through Jesus Christ is the foundation stone for our doctrine. I am convinced that if everyone looked at the doctrines/teachings of all the churches and denominations and studied them- most of them would end up Lutheran- at least those who chose to be Christian. Additionally, there is great beauty and substance to Lutheran Worship,
which to me stands above the rest. Kindof like J S Bach stands above Bobby Joe Yahoo. I'm not prejudiced against other denominations, but I appreciate what Lutheranism has to offer the Christian community-wish everyone did.
CAREER
I have been a pastor of the Lutheran Church, LCA and the ELCA, since 1973. I did my undergraduate work at the University of South Carolina 1969, my Master of Divinity (a four year degree) at Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary1973, in Columbia, S C, and earned a Doctor of Minsitry in 1988 from McCormack Theological Seminary (Presbyterian-USA).
I served my internship (required in the Lutheran Church) at First Lutheran Church, Barberton, Ohio. I served Nativity Lutheran Church, Spartanburg, S C, for a little over 8 years, Nazareth Lutheran Church, Lexington, S C, for 6 1/2 years, as Associate Pastor at St Paul Lutheran Church, Columbia for 4 1/2 years, and have served Grace Lutheran Church, Gilbert for 16 1/2 years thus far. All of the congregations which I have served (except St Paul) have been smaller congregations with all the joys, and challenges which smaller congregations present. I suppose as a young or even early middle age pastor I did not assume that I would always serve small congregations, but maybe it was God's choice for me, or maybe my own, or maybe that of the synod leadership. However it happened, perhaps I was able to provide stability, and continuity that most pastors would not have been able to offer in these settings.
ASSOCIATIONS
I have been a member and secretary of the S C Synod's World Mission Committee (10 years); a member and officer of the Spartanburg, and Lexington Ministerial Association; a member of the Saxe Gotha Lutheran Pastor's Association, Member and held all offices in the Lexington Medical Center's Associate Chaplain's Association, and have served two terms as dean of the Western Conference of the S C Lutheran Synod.
AWARDS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
The greatest accomplishments in my life (largely the result of others love and commitment) are to be happily and well married to Barbara for 38 and 1/2 years, and to have helped raise 2 wonderful daughters, and to have a little role in the life of Little Blake our 5 1/2 month old grandson. I count marriage and parenting as among the highest callings from God, in addition to being called to be a Christian through the sacrament of Holy Baptism.
The very close second important accomplishments in my life are the priviledges I have had to serve as a pastor to these various congregations and the communities in which they resided.
Additionally, I was very honored, and humbled to be elected dean of the Western Conference, and also to be chosen to serve the various offices in to LMC-Chaplains' Association. The Chaplians' Association honored me with the Harold Von Nessen Lifetime Distinguished Service Award, and the staff at the hospital honored me by electing me as the William H Price Distinguished Service Recepient (selected by the clinical staff.)

No comments: